My Commitment to Our Community
I care about our community, and the people who make it great. As a
member of Jack Laytonís NDP team, I will work with you to make life
fairer and ensure no one is left behind
As your MP, I will work to implement practical solutions to make life
better for everyone. The NDP is committed to the following:
Fairness for Everyone
Equality for Persons with Disabilities
- Ensure that all Canadians who make less than $15,000 a year pay no federal income tax.
- Remove the GST from family essentials including medicine, medical
equipment, books, magazines, womenís hygiene products, and childrenís
- Work with provincial governments to set up a single income
support mechanism for persons with disabilities, including a system of
national disability support.
- Develop a labour market strategy for persons with disabilities
that includes a plan for increased participation in the federal
government workforce and expanded measures to help other employers make
workplaces accessible and accommodate persons with disabilities.
- Expand the Special Opportunities Grant Program to recognize the
extra costs associated with oneís disability and the costs of
accommodation for training and job opportunities.
- Make the disability tax credit and medical expenses tax credit fully refundable.
- Establish an independent commissioner who reports directly to
Parliament to monitor federal departmentsí compliance to all policies
for persons with disabilities. The commissioner will advise ministers
about the effects on persons with disabilities of upcoming legislation