Dear friends and Parkdale-High Park neighbours,
I'm proud to be the MP for Parkdale-High Park.
I've lived in this community for 20 years. I care about our community, and the people who make it great.
As your Member of Parliament, I'll work with you and your family to:
- protect jobs that pay decent wages;
- maintain a balanced budget and fiscal responsibility;
- defend Medicare; expand child care; support newcomer services and increase funding for post-secondary education;
- champion women's equality;
- make the environment a key priority in the next parliament;
- support a strong, vibrant arts and cultural sector;
- push for democratic renewal and ethical government in Ottawa.
Parkdale-High Park deserves a strong voice in Parliament. Jack Layton and the NDP have been able to get results in a minority government. In the spring of 2005 the NDP's 4.6 billion dollar budget achieved more for people and more for Toronto.
Look at some of the achievements:
- $900 million for the environment, including energy efficiency
- $70 million for the TTC
* $200 million to build more affordable housing
- $115 million to reduce tuition fees
- and, more money for foreign aid
Without Jack Layton and the NDP caucus, would Parliament have:
- Passed same-sex marriage legislation?
- Signed onto the Kyoto accord?
- Turned down George Bush's missile defence scheme?
You know the answer is no.
I promise to keep my commitment to working for the things that matter to you, and with your support we'll get results.